Advisory Board Member
Strategic Leadership & Operational Direction to Overcome Complex Challenges & Deliver World-Class Results
MISSION-DRIVEN LEADER & STRATEGIC THINKER skilled at directing, motivating, communicating with, caring for, and effectively preparing people to perform at the highest levels focused on consistently meeting or exceeding aggressive goals.
INNOVATIVE STRATEGIST adept at creating, modifying, adapting, and improving systems and processes to deliver timely and targeted solutions that assure optimum effectiveness in constantly evolving high-stakes enviroments.
OPERATIONAL EXPERTISE based on hands-on experience managing multi-million-dollar budgets, optimizing human resources, and navigating complex logistical challenges, driving organizational excellence by investing in and empowering people.
EFFICIENT CHANGE MANAGER able to implement, monitor & control dynamic organizational transformation engaging diverse stakeholders across cultural barriers & directing a myriad of tasks with revolving personnel to achieve ultimate success.
INVESING IN PEOPLE CONSULTING AND COACHING LLC, Surf City, NC
Assists business and military leaders with personal and organizational leadership challenges. Speaks to small and large audiences to share experiences and best practices for leading in the modern organization.
▪ Wrote and published “It’s Personal, Not Personnel, Leadership Lessons For the Battlefield and the Boardroom” 2017
▪ Conducted over 18 speaking engagements to businesses and organizations in North Carolina, Georgia, Texas and Washington DC
▪ Developed and conducted a people-centric leadership breakout seminar for the Wilmington Business Journal
▪ Consulted a mid-Atlantic Fence Company in leadership and organizational practices resulting in 12% revenue growth
▪ Active coach for the WILMA Mentor Program, Wilmington, NC
▪ Executive Leader Coach, Performance Culture INC, Wilmington, NC
BRIGADE COMMANDER/CEO – 1st Brigade, 101st Airborne Division, Fort Campbell, KY (2013 – 2015)
$3.8M annual operating budget. 4,900 man infantry brigade composed of seven separate battalions with a mission to deploy rapidly to a combat theater in complex threat & social environments to achieve US national security objectives.
Led by personal example establishing positive culture stressing professional competence, mental toughness, physical stamina & disciplined teamwork to produce soldiers empowered to achieve stated objectives. Maintained over $180M in military property; mentored & trained leaders; developed and promoted programs focused on soldier and family care. Deployed portion of brigade to serve as part of Train Advise & Assist Command in Afghanistan to support training of Afghan Security Forces and foster Afghan Government growth.
▪ Received, validated & trained brigade in usage of $150M+ in new communications network equipment; achieved savings of $4.2M in satellite airtime during validation
▪ Grew organization by 1,100 people; assumed ownership of 40+ buildings; established facilites improvement plan incorporating energy conservation, quality of life & unit operational efficiency; achieved building improvements one year ahead of schedule; awarded 2014 Fort Campbell Energy Cup (14% improvement in energy conservation)
▪ Additional awards include: Top Soldier Retention among 5 other brigades; #1 Personnel Readiness Performance in entire Continental US Army; 2013 & 2014 Combined Federal Campaign Winner for Fort Campbell ($160,000 in charitable contributions); Legion of Merit Medal for meritorious service as Brigade Commander
DEPUTY COMMANDER/VP – Train Advise & Assist Command (TAAC) South, Kandahar, Afghanistan (2014 – 2015)
11,000 forward deployed service members, US Coalition partner nation members & civilian contractors based at Kandahar Airfield.
Served as deputy to 1-Star General overseeing final stages of train/advise/assist mission for Afghan Security Forces. Developed Afghan leaders preparing them to manage facilities following US departure. Reviewed and approved complex combat missions and managed security. Led base transition improving Afghan governance to ensure future stability. Served as mentor & trainer for Provincial Governor, Garrison & Air Wing Commanders and International Airport Manager.
▪ Conceived & developed Kandahar Management Cell strategy; won support and funding from Headquarters, Operation Resolute Support and US Congress under Commanders Emergency Reconstruction Program
▪ Through numerous tours and briefings to Afghan President’s advisor for Airport Economic Development, base was selected as priority airport for Afghan Government funding (including personnel to manage base electrical grid)
▪ Awarded Bronze Star Medal for Combat Service
SQUADRON COMMANDER/CEO – 1st Squadron, 40th Cavalry Regiment (Airborne), Fort Richardson, AK (2008 – 2010)
360 Man Cavalry Squadron charged with maintaining combat readiness for immediate worldwide deployment.
Managed $1.5M budget and over $15M in property. Planned and conducted operations in support of Pacific Theater of Operations and Global War on Terror. Trained unit in population-centric warfare; educated personnel on cultural differences. Led deployment to Afghanistan for 12 month tour in support of theater counterinsurgency objectives.
▪ Implemented District Stability Framework model to overcome cultural barriers & determine true sources of instability
▪ Ensured successful construction of $100M highway project in combat zone
▪ Formed first US-Afghan combined operations center; taught first-ever Afghan Army Counterinsurgency Course
▪ Received recognition from US Department of State & US Agency for International Development for significant contributions to Afghanistan operations; awarded Bronze Star Medal
Commissioned in US Army Infantry (via collegiate ROTC program). Parachute & Ranger training.
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
MASTER OF STRATEGIC STUDIES, US Army War College (selected for Advanced Strategic Art Program – 14 selectees out of 389)
MASTER OF SCIENCE – ADMINISTRATION, Central Michigan University
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE – BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION with focus in Marketing, North Adams State College
University of Kansas Office of Graduate Military Programs, School of Command Preparation, Fort Leavenworth, KS
CORPORATE BUSINESS LEADERSHIP COURSE (5 Day Executive Education program taking officers out of their normal world-view & providing depth of understanding about how companies in key industries are addressing strategic challenges.)